"other" tag

Salvador Cuñat salvador.cunat at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 12:30:22 PDT 2015

Hi again, Robert,

> El 07/09/2015 07:43, "Robert C. Helling" <helling at atdotde.de> escribió:
> >
> > From the code, it seems to me that these can be combined: A drift dive
> in a river with a  camera where I take photos of a wreck. And the dive is
> also other.
> >
> > In any case, I would rather have no tag for a dive than having one that
> only says „other“. But that might be my personal opinion. This is the
> difference between a combo box where I have to choose something and a tag
> system.
>
> Yes, we can, simply drop the bit.
> Included it as it was an option in Uwatec's software, but it's far from
> unavoidable.
> Will send a patch this evening.
>
> Regards.
> Salva.

I've been thinking about this while driving home from work, and I'm not so
sure as I was this morning.
Although I agree in the nonsense of this tag, and I never used it in the 10
years I've been using datatrak, please note that importing is a kind of
forensic task; in the sense that the tag was set some time ago by a user
who knows (or better, knew) its meaning.  Leaving the code "as is" now,
will only affect those users who set the "other" tag in the past, while
using Datatrak.  It'll go unnoticed for users who didn't make use of it and
(like me), even  those who used it in the past will probably never use it
again, as Subsurface's custom tag system is much more powerful than
Uwatec's limited combo list.

Not sure I had explained very well.

Regards.
Salva.