enabling cloud storage [was Re: Beta Testing]

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Tue Sep 8 09:37:10 PDT 2015

On Tue, Sep 08, 2015 at 06:12:27PM +0300, Lubomir I. Ivanov wrote:
> On 8 September 2015 at 17:42, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
> >
> >> On Sep 7, 2015, at 11:11 PM, Lubomir I. Ivanov <neolit123 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> BTW i can't get cloud storage to become enabled (Open/Save) in the File menu.
> >
> > This will become enabled once the email / password has been verified.
> > So enter an email address and password. Get email with the pin. Enter the pin.
> > Now the preferences show "verified" and cloud open/save should be enabled.
> >
> > Can you tell us which of these steps fails?
> >

> none apparently - it works; i didn't know i need verification...

The question is "do we need to change the UI to make this more obvious"?
The goal is for this to be easy for the user. Sure, it's documented in the
manual (well, actually, right now it isn't, but I'm sure it will be,
soon), But we all know that most users only check the user manual in cases
of dire emergency, after complaining on Facebook how much the software
sucks and sending emails to random email addresses with questions lacking
any context... Oops, shouldn't have written that part... where's the
delete key on this keyboard...?

> now i understand what "spinner" this is about - it's a preloader
> animation and it's visible for me on Windows 7.
> i though the discussion was about a QSpinBox somewhere on the UI.

Nope, it's about the big spinner that apparently doesn't show up on all
Windows versions...

> so looking at the QtWaitingSpinner class, it should work as is, unless
> there is something which Qt doesn't handle for Windows 10 or if
> something changed Windows 10 e.g. frameless window rendering.
>
> instead of:
> Qt::Dialog | Qt::FramelessWindowHint
>
> this can be attempted:
> Qt::SplashScreen
>
> but i can't test it as i also don't have Windows 10.

But it's free!
Never mind, I don't have it either. I barely have a Windows machine, TBH.

Can you send me a patch? I can do a daily build with it and point the
people who reported the issue to try that.