enabling cloud storage [was Re: Beta Testing]

Lubomir I. Ivanov neolit123 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 10:32:16 PDT 2015

On 8 September 2015 at 19:37, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

>> > This will become enabled once the email / password has been verified.
>> > So enter an email address and password. Get email with the pin. Enter the pin.
>> > Now the preferences show "verified" and cloud open/save should be enabled.
>> >
>> > Can you tell us which of these steps fails?
>> >

>> none apparently - it works; i didn't know i need verification...
>
> The question is "do we need to change the UI to make this more obvious"?
> The goal is for this to be easy for the user. Sure, it's documented in the
> manual (well, actually, right now it isn't, but I'm sure it will be,
> soon), But we all know that most users only check the user manual in cases
> of dire emergency, after complaining on Facebook how much the software
> sucks and sending emails to random email addresses with questions lacking
> any context... Oops, shouldn't have written that part... where's the
> delete key on this keyboard...?

after checking the preferences it seems fine to me, as is.
the users will suggest improvements if they find it non-intuitive.

>> now i understand what "spinner" this is about - it's a preloader
>> animation and it's visible for me on Windows 7.
>> i though the discussion was about a QSpinBox somewhere on the UI.
>
> Nope, it's about the big spinner that apparently doesn't show up on all
> Windows versions...
>
>> so looking at the QtWaitingSpinner class, it should work as is, unless
>> there is something which Qt doesn't handle for Windows 10 or if
>> something changed Windows 10 e.g. frameless window rendering.
>>
>> instead of:
>> Qt::Dialog | Qt::FramelessWindowHint
>>
>> this can be attempted:
>> Qt::SplashScreen
>>
>> but i can't test it as i also don't have Windows 10.
>
> But it's free!
> Never mind, I don't have it either. I barely have a Windows machine, TBH.
>
> Can you send me a patch? I can do a daily build with it and point the
> people who reported the issue to try that.

just tried what i was suggesting and it doesn't work, because
Qt::SplashScreen is more about static images (not spinner animations)
and requires a mask to be transparent.
a screenshot might help (sent a request to the reporter), but this is
probably a regression somewhere and we may have to use something which
looks different on Windows 10.

lubomir