cloud storage progress bar testing

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Thu Sep 10 08:33:19 PDT 2015

On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 12:49:14PM +0300, Lubomir I. Ivanov wrote:
> at least i can do some testing here.
>
> i'm able to show the progress bar it if i add this explicitly in
> MainWindow::showProgressBar():
> progressDialog->show();
> but it stays at zero when doing "Open cloud storage".

Just to make sure (in case this isn't obvious) - you will ONLY see the
progress bar if you are actually talking to the remote server. If all you
do is confirm that HEAD is the same and then read the local cache (which
is the "normal" mode when you open cloud storage) you will never see the
progress bar.

So in order to test if the progress bar works the easiest way is to delete
your local cache of the git tree. And then start Subsurface and open cloud
storage (now it needs to download data from the remote server).

> looking at git-access.c:
>
> USE_LIBGIT23_API is set.
>
> the lines setting the callback are also reached in all places:
> opts.callbacks.transfer_progress = &transfer_progress_cb;
>
> but the callbacks are never called - e.g. progress_cb(),
> transfer_progress_cb() and update_progress().

Again, if there's nothing to transfer, they never get called.

> after updating to the most recent libgit2 master and i'm now getting
> fetch errors (red status bar at the bottom: "Unable to
> fetch...<credentials>") on each cloud storage open, but it *does*
> retrieve the dive list despite the error.

I thought I was using libgit2 master as of a couple of days ago on Mac
(since they just fixed a bug on Mac that I was running into in my
testing). I need to try that again...

> based on this comment:
> // NOTE! A fetch error is not fatal, we just report it
>
> maybe we shouldn't always report it to the end-user?

Well, we should tell the user that she is 'off line' because we can't
fetch the remote, right?

I said this before. We really need to go over all the git error messages
and figure out what to do about them with respect to user visible
messages.