Uemis Patches

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Thu Sep 10 12:38:53 PDT 2015

Hi Guido.

This was an excellent series of patches. Well done.

I ended up rephrasing the commit messages a but, especially the commit
titles, but that's something that I do a lot for other people as well.
I may be a bit over zealous there, but I think the result makes it easier
to track what's going on.

On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 07:54:29PM +0200, Guido Lerch wrote:
> I am done with my first round of Uemis patches.
> I am new to this so please forgive me if I still don't get this 100%
> correct.

They were very close. A couple of comments with your name and date, other
than that nothing stood out.

> Dirk advised me to commit as much as possible but I still struggle to
> make a commit if the commit would not end up in something that is
> executable. Advise appreciated.

The granularity of the commits was perfect. I could look at them,
understand what they do and apply them quite quickly.

If at all possible it's preferable that every commit compiles. Otherwise
git bisect becomes a major pain.

> The patches are ALL required to get a running Uemis download, again
> happy to get feedback on how to structure patches better.

I think you did this very well.

> I've tested the code with 2 Uemis computers that are very different in
> dive sites and length of dives as well as the additional information
> provided by the uemis and found no problems, all dives loaded nicely.
>
> There might still be memory leaks and I have to learn more about patching
> and GIT in general,
> so I would appreciate if you send me your comments and let me fix issues
> myself as this helps
> me in my learning process. I come from C# and I know that C and C++ guys
> might laugh at us
> as we have not a lot experience when it comes down to memory handling. I
> want to learn that
> too, so please give me a chance :-)

Sorry, I already fixed things up as it was all minor stuff - and that is
my typical workflow. If it's small stuff, I just adjust as I apply the
patches - just like I did for Anton earlier today when he forgot the hunk
that changed a .h file.

Sure, I could back out the changes and explain to you what you should
change... but frankly, I'd rather see you do more development and work
with git again for your next patch series.

Keep them coming.

Thanks