Bluetooth interface questions and a UI suggestion

Claudiu Olteanu olteanu.vasilica.claudiu at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 13:56:37 PDT 2015

Hi there

> I have a question about the Bluetooth download interface.
>
> When selecting import -> Import from dive computer, there are two
> possibilities:
>
> 1) In the MountPoint textbox of the Download panel,  the address of the
> Bluetooth device is shown. It looks like this happens automatically when
> selecting Shearwater and Petrel from the list of supported DCs. Then one
> needs to check the checkbox marked "Choose Bluetooth" and hit the
> Download button to start downloading.

The Bth address appears because it was cached during your last download
attempt. Since commit 9e97f124c it should also cache the value of your checkbox
(hopefully :-) ) .
If you select a new family device it will disappear.

> 2) When selecting the "Choose Bluetooth" check box, a new panel opens
> with the full details of the Bluetooth interface, allowing activation of
> local Bluetooth and scanning for remote Bluetooth devices.
>
> What determines which of these two routes of action is taken? I suspect
> it is determined, amongst others, by the state of the local Bluetooth
> interface. If it is switched on, then the Bluetooth address is shown in
> the MountPoint text box. is this correct?

In the MountPoint text it is shown the name of your dive computer
which was selected
and saved in the BTH selection dialogue. If you attempt to do a
download the Bth address
of your remote device will be cached and shown on your next session.
That address it is
not the same as the one your local Bth device has.
The information you saw in the new panel is related with your local
Bth device and its state.

> Here is a suggestion: In the dropdown list of mount points, add a
> Bluetooth item. If the Bluetooth item is selected from this dropdown
> box, it switches on the local Bluetooth device and opens the Bluetooth
> panel referred to in 2) above. This allows one to do away with the
> checkbox "Choose Bleutooth".

I like your suggestion. The only problem is that it is not necessary
to open the Bluetooth
selection dialogue to initiate a download. If you want to use the same
device as the last time
and your Bluetooth adapter is ON you should be able to successfully
download the information.
Now this is done by caching the value of the "Choose Bluetooth" checkbox.
Therefore if we want to remove the checkbox, we should should cover
this scenario too.

Cheers,
Claudiu