Almost Beta 2 Cloud Storage fails

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sun Sep 20 08:28:10 PDT 2015

Hi John,

I don't know which email program you use (it doesn't say in your mail
headers), but the way you quote existing emails makes it very hard for
people who prefer text email readers to see what's what...

On Sun, Sep 20, 2015 at 02:46:10PM +0000, John Smith wrote:
> > So it hangs before the first callback. I can create a version with lots of debug output to show us how far it gets/ where it gets stuck.
> That would be good, just let me know which version to use and where the debug messages are stored.

I'll try to work on this today. But since I want to make this
comprehensive this may take a moment :-/

The idea is to simply add this to the verbose program output. Then if
regular users run into problems we can ask them to run things this way and
give the log to us.

> > > I tried to 'save as' an empty database to my local drive to see if it was because it needed something to read first, but it gave me a red bar at the bottom with the message 'Unable to open git repository'.
> > This I don't understand. What sequence got you there?
> Start up Subsurface, using default cloud as opening preference. Click Save As and leave the default file name as it appears.
> In my case its noseygit at hotmail.com[noseygit at hotmail.com].ssrf

Ahhh, that explains it. And you just found a real bug. This "filename" is
actually special. It indicates that we want to save to git repository
instead of to an actual file. But since you don't have a local
subdirectory "noseygit at hotmail.com" with a git repository in it, this
fails.

OK, at least one thing I understand now. What I need to do next is make
sure we don't use this as default filename for "Save as"...

> I can change the name of a blank file to this name within windows so its not a file naming issue.

Yes it is, because names with '[...]' in them are special to Subsurface.

> Playing more, I can open that file if I declare it as the local default file, but not open it when I have cloud as opening preference.
> I can even save to it after changes, but  when I try 'save as' I get the unable to open git repository message again.
>  'Save as' using other file names works.

Yes, this all makes sense now.

> > But can you accesshttps://cloud.subsurface-divelog.organd log in there?That's a different server than the other servers in our infrastructure
> Yes, and I have been using this access for about a week as a check to see if I can make changes to the cloud

OK, so that's not the issue :-(

> > > A few days ago, whilst running Beta 1, I suddenly had some of my log, but cannot confirm how that happened. I've started Subsurface Beta 2 now and will leave it for a couple of hours and see what happens just in case I see the long update mentioned by  one of the other posters.
> > > I've tried setting up a new account and that just fails. I get the red bar on the bottom saying no access to the git.
> > That's why I'm thinking that maybe you don't connect to the cloud server at all
> I thought that, but my account details change to Verified after I restart

OK, so now you have two cloud accounts, but you can't load from / save to
either one? Just to make sure I understand where we are...