Almost Beta 2 Cloud Storage fails

Rick Walsh rickmwalsh at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 07:51:53 PDT 2015

On 22 September 2015 at 00:39, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 22, 2015 at 12:27:31AM +1000, Rick Walsh wrote:
> >
> > I tested Subsurface on my old laptop, which also has Fedora 22 installed.
> > It cloud saving and opening worked with the git version (current in July)
> > that was installed in it.  It works after updating Subsurface, libgit and
> > the other libraries to the latest dependencies, and updating the system.
> > This just confuses me.  Same versions of same software with same OS, yet
> > one works, and one doesn't.  I doubt it's so low-level, but both are
> > running 4.1.6 kernel.
> >
> > I tried rebuilding with build.sh from scratch, nuking
> > ~/.local/share/Subsurface, even ~/.config/Subsurface.  I still can't make
> > it connect with Subsurface.
> >
> > On the command line I can manually git clone the repository.  It's empty
> > except for the hidden files - I believe that's how it's supposed to be.
> >
> > Turns out F22 does run a firewall by default.  But it does on my old
> laptop
> > too.  Disabling it with systemd had no effect, and nor did enabling it
> but
> > setting the network connection to 'home' or 'trusted'.  Nothing is in
> > /etc/hosts.deny or /etc/hosts.allow.
> >
> > I'm really clutching at straws, but could it possibly the uefi?  The old
> > laptop has traditional bios.
>
> That's not going to be the cause.
>
> Can you run
>
> ./subsurface -v
>
> when you do your tests? Before the Windows situation blew up in my face I
> did push the additional debugging output that was supposed to show us more
> where things go wrong...

Here's the output from ./subsurface -v

[rick at notyourcomputer build]$ ./subsurface -v
Map theme file does not exist: ""
QInotifyFileSystemWatcherEngine::addPaths: inotify_add_watch failed: No
such file or directory
git storage: update local repo
sync with remote
https://cloud.subsurface-divelog.org//git/rickmwalsh@gmail.com[rickmwalsh@gmail.com]
Cloud storage: checking connection to cloud server
git storage: fetch remote
git storage: check remote status
git storage: try to update
git storage: update remote

Then Subsurface freezes.

I tried again, this time making a small change:

[rick at notyourcomputer build]$ ./subsurface -v
Map theme file does not exist: ""
QInotifyFileSystemWatcherEngine::addPaths: inotify_add_watch failed: No
such file or directory
git storage: update local repo
sync with remote
https://cloud.subsurface-divelog.org//git/rickmwalsh@gmail.com[rickmwalsh@gmail.com]
Cloud storage: checking connection to cloud server
Cloud storage: unable to connect to cloud server
git storage: do git save
removed reference to non-existant dive site with uuid ebc33231
removed reference to non-existant dive site with uuid 9d62ab69
removed reference to non-existant dive site with uuid fb3df0ad
removed reference to non-existant dive site with uuid 9d62ab69
removed reference to non-existant dive site with uuid 13f22db5
---many more lines like the above----

This time Subsurface didn't freeze, but an error appears at the bottom of
the screen: "Cannot connect to cloud server, working with local copy"

Rick