Windows binary saga

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Tue Sep 22 07:26:59 PDT 2015

On Tue, Sep 22, 2015 at 03:05:16PM +0300, Lubomir I. Ivanov wrote:

> update:
>
> i was able to get the tests and marble to work.
> attached is a patch to add the MARBLE_FROM_PKGCONFIG. i know these
> _FROM_PKGCONFIG are mostly for me, but please apply it.

No problem.
I do have the "if (NOT NO_MARBLE)" logic we have. My brain doesn't like
the double negative.

> the docs are problematic...
> Documentation/Makefile does not work with what is distributed for
> Win32 (e.g. a 1MB zip package).

You don't need to be able to build the docs, only to install them :-)
I will build them here and create the html.git files again and that should
be all you need

> a2x: ERROR: xmllint --nonet --noout --valid
> C:\dev\subsurface\Documentation\user-manual.xml returned non-zero exit
> status 1

Yes, creating the xml and pdf outputs is never tested. It's supported in
the Makefile from way back when but all we ever do is build the .html
files

> something in the lines of:
> python /bin/asciidoc/asciidoc.py user-manual.txt
> does work though - i.e. not using "a2x -f text". the docs can be
> retrieved from a Linux build, so there are alternatives here.

Yes, I wouldn't waste time on that

> so apart from NO_DOCS=0, the only thing i'm not building at the moment
> is FTDISUPPORT=1, but that's probably doable as well.

As I said in the other email from my phone, that's only needed for Android.

But just so that I can work on a plan B... let me ask you a bit about your
Windows setup.

a) which shell do you use? git shell? MSYS (which hasn't been updated in
three years)? something else?
b) which libraries do you build from source (I assume at least
libdivecomputer, libssrfmarblewidget, libgit2), where do you use
precompiled binaries (I assume Qt)?
c) which tool chain do you use? MinGW 4.92 32bit? Again, from where (you
apparently can get that with QtCreator or in context of MSYS or...)
d) what about makensis? autotools?

Basically I'd love to not take your 4GB of preconfigured stuff but to be
able to bring this up independently so I understand how the pieces fit
together.

In the meantime (talking about Plan A) I got a lot further last night
building Qt with debugging enabled. QtWebKit still fails to build, but
it feels like I'm getting closer.

Maybe I'll be able to to create an installer with debugging symbols after
all :-)