Windows binary saga

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Wed Sep 23 04:09:35 PDT 2015

On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 10:54:14AM +0300, Lubomir I. Ivanov wrote:
> On 23 September 2015 at 06:52, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
>
> > Lots of progress.
> >
> > I massaged MXE to go from MinGW 5.2.0 back to 4.9.2 (the compiler used in
> > the official Qt5.5 builds). That turned out to be a bit of a pain but hey,
> > I think I have it working.
> >
> > Rebuilt all the libraries.
> >
> > I can now create a Windows installer for Subsurface that actually mostly
> > works. Subsurface starts up, reads local files, etc.
>
> happy to hear that it finally works.
> so...was that compiler issue?

Yes, it appears that the MinGW 5.2.0 version in the latest MXE
mis-compiles Qt when compiled in Release mode :-(

> > a) where the heck is that cache on a Windows 10 machine and how do I get
> > there? Some searching with Explorer did show any obvious spots.
> > Lubomir, any suggestions?
>
> for me that would be:
> C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Subsurface\Subsurface
> i couldn't find which part of the software sets it - e.g. is it
> libgit2, is it subsurface?

It's subsurface - in qthelper.cpp we have a system_default_directory()
function that uses

	location = QStandardPaths::DataLocation;
	QString name = QStandardPaths::standardLocations(location).first();

to figure out that directory. Which is why I asked if that had changed
under Windows 10 as I didn't quite manage to to locate the directory on my
Windows 10 system. I guess I must have not tried hard enough.

> it would be best if the app accesses only a single user path.

We use two paths I believe. Out default filename we still get directly in
windows.c via

	user = getenv("USERNAME");
	if (!SUCCEEDED(SHGetFolderPath(NULL, CSIDL_APPDATA, NULL, 0, datapath))) {

Which is unchanged since the Gtk days.

> > Anyway, I'll stop here for today. Feel free to play with it - it's in
> > downloads/daily as subsurface-4.4.97-26-ge66f0895c68c.exe
>
> ok, i will give it a spin later today.

Cool. I'm up (thanks, insomnia) and will work on this a little more as
well.