Windows binary saga

Lubomir I. Ivanov neolit123 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 04:58:14 PDT 2015

On 23 September 2015 at 14:14, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> On Windows 10 you apparently no longer have the option to see a stack
> trace or any crash information. It appears to simply send that data to
> Microsoft without even an opt-out...
>
> Which will be a real pain for things that don't crash under the debugger.
>
> Or maybe there is a magic incantation that I wasn't able to figure out :-)

"Windows Key" + R (opens the "run prompt")
type: "eventvwr"

or type the same in the CMD.exe console.

go to "Windows Logs" -> "Application"
the last crashed app should be on top.

it can point out the faulting module, offset and the error type, but
that's far less useful than what OSX has as crash log info, for
instance.
from there on release builds it involves attempting to break at that
offset and trying to obtain a stack trace even if it's not crashing
the debugger.

it's a SIGSEGV (aka STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION; 0xC0000005 on Win32)
inside libgit2, so quite possibly this is an issue on their end, given
it works with my DLL.

lubomir