Windows binary saga

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Wed Sep 23 05:20:19 PDT 2015

On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 02:58:14PM +0300, Lubomir I. Ivanov wrote:
> On 23 September 2015 at 14:14, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Windows 10 you apparently no longer have the option to see a stack
> > trace or any crash information. It appears to simply send that data to
> > Microsoft without even an opt-out...
> >
> > Which will be a real pain for things that don't crash under the debugger.
> >
> > Or maybe there is a magic incantation that I wasn't able to figure out :-)
> >

> "Windows Key" + R (opens the "run prompt")
> type: "eventvwr"
>
> or type the same in the CMD.exe console.
>
> go to "Windows Logs" -> "Application"
> the last crashed app should be on top.

How neat. A little hidden but hey... what can you do.

> it can point out the faulting module, offset and the error type, but
> that's far less useful than what OSX has as crash log info, for
> instance.
> from there on release builds it involves attempting to break at that
> offset and trying to obtain a stack trace even if it's not crashing
> the debugger.

Always my favorite past time... figuring out where in the code an offset
into a binary is :-/

> it's a SIGSEGV (aka STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION; 0xC0000005 on Win32)
> inside libgit2, so quite possibly this is an issue on their end, given
> it works with my DLL.

As I mentioned, it seems like I was building from an older version of
libgit2. I have updated that and implemented the code that I discussed
with Linus to handle corrupted state more gracefully (since I have
corrupted state on that Windows machine I figured I'd try that out while
I'm at it).

This is building as we speak and I'll test it in a few minutes.