user-manual: Geo-lookup

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Wed Sep 23 16:16:20 PDT 2015

> On Sep 23, 2015, at 3:49 PM, Willem Ferguson <willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za> wrote:
>
> Dirk,
> Apologies for being a nuisance. I am busy with the Preferences section.
> I know we corresponded about this beforehand but I am not confident to write user manual text on this. Some questions.
> 1) What lookup service is used?

geonames.org <http://geonames.org/>

which reminds me - we still use "dirkhh" as account. Probably not a good idea

> 2) Does Subsurface require an Internet connection for geo-lookup?

Yes

> 3) What happens in the absence of an Internet connection?

Things should time out gracefully

> 4) Checkbox: Enable geocoding for divesite management. Please explain?

When this is checked, the geocoded values are shown above the location name

> 5) Check box: Parse site without GPS data. Please explain?

Umm - I think we haven't implemented this, yet. The idea was a forward lookup :-(

> 6) Checkbox: Same format for existing dives. Please explain?

Umm - what the heck? It must have been a while since I looked at this. I can't remember

> 7) How do geocoding and GPS data interact?

If and only if you have GPS coordinates, the geocoding code can look up data. For many sites the data are very good. For others they are a mixed bag.

> 8) I assume that Dive Site Layout is the format in which the user
>     specifies a location for lookup in the location text box of the Notes panel?

I'm confused by this question