Windows binary saga

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Thu Sep 24 15:04:33 PDT 2015

On Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 08:42:02PM +0000, Sander M. Kleijwegt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I can confirm some things running on windows 7.
>
> - Subsurface works instead of crashing immediately.
> - It doesn't work with cloud storage
>   + When starting without a local clone of the cloud
> (C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Subsurface directory), it loads my existing
> dives just fine.
>   + When adding a dive and pressing save, nothing actually happens, I checked
> the cloud-git-repo manually on my ubuntu machine, no new commit was added. You
> can also see this through the cloud-web interface.
>   + Adding a dive to the cloud from my ubuntu machine works fine, it doesn't
> get picked up by my windows subsurface when a local clone
> (C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Subsurface) already exists though, it just
> seems it doesn't pull in the changes.
>   + Removing the local clone on my windows machine, forcing it to create a new
> clone _does_ give me the dive I added from my ubuntu machine.
>
> In conclusion: on the windows side only the initial clone seems to work,
> pushing and pulling doesn't. On my ubuntu machine everything seems to work
> fine. I am using 4.4.97-41-g148b30849aba on windows and my own build of
> 9d1c3942d782db5157a41f61ea422d30e62e71c2 on ubuntu.

So the newer versions have some useful debugging info. Can you get -74
(which has a few bug fixes) and run it from a console (cmd.exe is fine) as
subsurface.exe -v -v
That should give us more info what it's trying to do with the cloud
storage and where things might fail.

My guess is that it couldn't connet and only stored things locally.
And depending on the CAs installed on your system and how some SSL
settings are done it's possible that it simply didn't like the certificate
of my server...