Debugging release builds on Win32

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sun Sep 27 03:50:31 PDT 2015

On Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 08:08:43AM -0700, Dirk Hohndel wrote:

> > i don't see this approach working for Qt as they already have "d" and
> > "non-d" files and there is probably more than just debug symbols in
> > the "d" version, but everything else which is built from source
> > *should* work.
> >
> > so, Dirk if you implement this with scripts on your end and next to a
> > release Win32 installer upload a zip with debug symbols for our main
> > faulting module candidates (e.g. subsurface.exe, libgit2.dll, etc), we
> > can actually debug a release build much easier.
> >
> > let me know if you are interested and i can help with examples.
>
> I'm definitely interested. Given how fragile this has been lately I'm
> freaked out that I might once again break things, though.

I'd still like to try this, though. :-)

> The crashes in libgit2 especially are weird and annoying.
> I might point out (cough, cough) that I begged and begged people
> to actually test this and basically no one did (well, 20 logins were
> created prior to the beta, and 10 of them were used exactly once
> or twice). Whatever, water under the bridge.
>
> At this stage I'm a long way away from being comfortable releasing
> what we have as 4.5. Which means we have time to play with this idea

BTW, while flying to Bonaire I tried to build at least Subsurface natively
under Windows (i.e., I grabbed all the libraries and header files from my
cross build and wanted to try to build the app itself under Windows so
that I have a much faster and smoother "edit, compile, test" cycle when
working on Windows bugs. Right now this is a seriously messed up process...

But I could get cmake to be create Makefiles that I could then run. So I'm
missing some magic incantation here.

I run this under a bash style shell. Maybe that's my problem?

I create the Makefile with

cmake -G "MinGW Makefiles"

(which moron came up with the idea to have a SPACE in that argument)

And then when I call make it tells me "cmd.exe not found". If I make sure
that it finds cmd.exe, it then simply opens an interactive shell instead
of running anything in it. Umm.

Suggestions? How do you run this, Lubomir?