Equipment info wrong

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Mon Sep 28 04:58:26 PDT 2015

On Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 01:56:24PM +0300, Guido Lerch wrote:

> Hi Linus,
>
> I just realized the same, none of my code changes do anything to the
> events

This has nothing to do with events. Remember how we talked about the fact
that you didn't like it that my original code dropped all the samples that
had a depth smaller than SURFACE_THRESHOLD? The fact that we no longer
doing that is what causes the effect that Linus observed.

> but I am working on a patch to detect pressure drops that happen
> if you decouple the regulator before the uemis has finished its dive
> which is usually 2-3 minutes after you surface.

I think that Linus existing solution has some merit independently of what
you are proposing. Yes, detecting such pressure drops helps with an oddity
that the Uemis creates because it keeps storing samples for such a long
time after the end of the dive and that possibly other dive computers
might cause as well.

But Linus' patch fundamentally changes the way we consider SAC - it only
starts the calculation at the first sample where the diver is under water
and ends at the last sample where the diver is under water. On a computer
with a slow sample rate this might introduce a small inaccuracy (as you
might be missing as much as the first and last minute of your dive), but
for most current dive computers that tend to sample at 30s or faster it's
just a hand full of breaths and the overall result is likely more accurate
as it also misses the initial cooling of the tank.

> If you have done some fixes already please let me know so we do not
> duplicate efforts. If you haven't it's a good learning for me but will
> take some time as I don't know that part of the code yet.

Linus' patch is in master - I pushed it earlier.