Planner = edit existing dive plan

Robert Helling helling at atdotde.de
Fri Apr 1 07:14:12 PDT 2016

Willem,

> On 29.03.2016, at 06:45, Willem Ferguson <willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za> wrote:
>
> The challenge is, if one wanted to re-open the dive plan in a truly transparent and repeatable way, one would need to save, with the dive profile, all the planner settings so that the planner could re-create the ascent as it did before the dive plan was saved. In addition, one would have to save the last 'hard-coded' waypoint on the profile so that the ascent could be re-calculated.
>
> What is your perspective?

thank you very much for your comments. As you see, when saving a dive from the plannner in subsurface, we only save the actual dive plan, not any settings (like for example SAC rates, deco model and parameters etc etc) and we also lose the information which waypoints were added by the user and which were calculated from the planner (this information, however, is kept when you do not close and reopen subsurface in the mean time).

The reason for this is that our file format did not have any place for these settings and people so far did not have time to implement this. Feel free to do so (you would have to come up with a backwards compatible way to include this information in the struct dive in memory as well as in the xml and git type storage.

Or are you suggesting the planner gives inconsistent results? I mean if you don’t change any settings and reopen a planned dive in the editor and delete all waypoints that were added by the planner (possibly by pressing the control key while deleting the first planned waypoint), the planner should produce exactly the same asked (including gas usage) as before. I hope it does.

Best
Robert

                      Scientific Coordinator
                      Phone: +49 89 2180-4523  Theresienstr. 39, rm. B339
                      http://www.atdotde.de

Enhance your privacy, use cryptography! My PGP keys have fingerprints
A9D1 A01D 13A5 31FA 6515  BB44 0820 367C 36BC 0C1D    and
DCED 37B6 251C 7861 270D  5613 95C7 9D32 9A8D 9B8F