Subsurface-mobile port to Kirigami 1.0

Joakim Bygdell j.bygdell at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 00:41:31 PDT 2016

> On 01 Apr 2016, at 21:57, Thomas Pfeiffer <thomas.pfeiffer at kde.org> wrote:
>
>> - scrolling and flicking of pages... oh my.
>>  -- I sometimes get a huge empty space at the top of the dive list, not
>>     sure how to describe this, it's like a massive margin or something -
>>     I think this happens if I pull the list down; something similar
>>     happens with some other pages like the About page or developer log;
>>     pull down, you suddenly have the top third of the page as empty
>>     margin
>
> This is actually intentional, for lists at least. The rationale is that the
> first list entries are hard to reach at the top of the screen. Being able to
> scroll further up (we call it "overscroll") allows you to bring them to an
> area of the screen where they are easily reachable. The same goes for the
> bottom entries.
> This makes it very valuable for one-handed usage, but we do get the feedback
> that it still somehow feels "weird" to users, so it looks like the current
> presentation doesn't convey what this white space is good for, but feels like
> a bug instead.

Definitively a bug, you would expect the list to stop when you reach the top.
Having the topmost object halfway down the screen is not something that should happen by default.

> What we might to instead is stopping the original scrolling when the first list
> item is reached, but allowing to overscroll if the list is pulled down again
> (after lifting the finger) from there (assuming this is done because the user
> cannot reach the first item(s) ). Also we should use a different visual
> representation that just "white space", to indicate that "Yes, this is
> actually intentional”

That would be the way to go.
If the user want to reach the very topmost object it will be a conscious act.

Another thing might be a 2-3 second delay that slides the list up again if no action is taken by the user.

/Jocke