Kirigami design question (iOS users, please read)

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sat Apr 2 12:21:10 PDT 2016

On Sat, Apr 02, 2016 at 09:09:08PM +0200, Robert Helling wrote:

[... lots of good observations deleted ...]

> Why am I writing all this? Probably just to say it is very hard to please everybody but one should be careful when generalizing one’s own usage patterns.

I think that's the number one thing that maintaining Subsurface has taught
me. I am not writing software for myself. Subsurface has so many features
that I have no interest in and never use (cough, planner, cough) and it's
very clear that the vast majority of requests that we are getting these
days, especially in the context of Subsurface-mobile, are decidedly not
things I care about. I am actually holding back on implementing things
that I really do care about because I want to make sure we get to a base
that most people can like or at least tolerate before going the next round
of feature creep.

Why am I writing all this?

Mostly because I like to whine.

But also because I want to make sure that people understand that I am
almost never arguing my own case here and almost always am arguing the
perspective that has been given to me by other users.

So I think the long complicated discussion with Thomas and Marco and all
the others who contributed has landed us at a target UI that will be great
for some and good enough for most. I'd suggest we focus on getting there
(I have been beating my head against writing more Kirigami patches in the
last couple of hours... this stuff is hard... and my changes usually end
up being so brutally hacky that I am throwing them away as there seems no
point in wasting Marco's time with looking at that...)

So let's hope that next week Marco (and maybe other QML experts, I
actually don't know if there anyone else contributing to Kirigami) have
enough time to implement the enhancement and feature requests that I made.
So that a week from now we have that "base UI" to test and discuss and can
create a 1.1 release for both Android and iOS that our users will enjoy.

And then focus on adding things like "download from dive computer" that I
really care about. :-)