Divecomputer-reading from Mobile devices (Was: Divemate Fusion)

Robert Helling helling at atdotde.de
Sat Apr 9 09:23:56 PDT 2016

Jeroen,

> On 09.04.2016, at 13:55, Jeroen Massar <jeroen at massar.ch> wrote:
>
> I have been thinking about doing something similar, and as ny kind of
> Bluetooth device can works and bluetooth can just do serial comms, it
> would be relatively easy.
>
> One could take a Arduino with a USB and Bluetooth port and it would not
> be too hard to let them talk together.

I agree, that would be a great possibility. I would love to realize that. But I have to admit that my arduino powers are very limited. I did a bit of googling and it seems to be still a bit harder: Yes, you can get an Arduino with bluetooth. But the other side seems to be harder: You would need to be a USB host controller and there are currently not too many Arduino products available with that feature. And sticking three boards on top of each other (one Arduino one Bluetooth and one USB host controller) does not seem the be such an attractive idea when we are talking about mobile.

Also that’s a bit convoluted given that most of the dive computers (as Dirk mentioned) actually speak serial over USB. And serial the Arduino can do natively. There it’s just the plug that is missing.

But let’s give it a try. There are two sides to it: Talking from a phone to an arduino over BT and the Arduino talking to the dive computer (port libdivecomputer to Arduino?!?)

What do you think? Do you have any experience in this field?

I will also talk to my hardware hacker friend here.

Best
Robert