Divecomputer-reading from Mobile devices (Was: Divemate Fusion)

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sat Apr 9 09:55:11 PDT 2016

> On Apr 9, 2016, at 9:39 AM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
>>
>>> On 09.04.2016, at 13:55, Jeroen Massar <jeroen at massar.ch <mailto:jeroen at massar.ch>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I have been thinking about doing something similar, and as ny kind of
>>> Bluetooth device can works and bluetooth can just do serial comms, it
>>> would be relatively easy.
>>>
>>> One could take a Arduino with a USB and Bluetooth port and it would not
>>> be too hard to let them talk together.
>>
>> But let’s give it a try. There are two sides to it: Talking from a phone to an arduino over BT and the Arduino talking to the dive computer (port libdivecomputer to Arduino?!?)
>>
>> What do you think? Do you have any experience in this field?
>>
>> I will also talk to my hardware hacker friend here.
>
> Well, instead of Arduino, why not use something like the NanoPi http://nanopi.org/NanoPi_Feature.html#order <http://nanopi.org/NanoPi_Feature.html#order>  for $16 or a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B https://www.element14.com/community/docs/DOC-80899?ICID=rpimain-feature-products <https://www.element14.com/community/docs/DOC-80899?ICID=rpimain-feature-products> for $35 (clearly overkill for what we need, but likely easier to work with)
>
> Not sure how availability for either one of these would be in Europe, though.

Since I clearly don't have enough to do and don't know what to do with all my spare time, I ordered a Pi3MB...

Here's what I'm thinking. Instead of passing through the serial, wouldn't it be smarter to have libdivecomputer just run on the Pi3MB and use BT to
a) have a command channel
b) create an XML file and transfer that back to the computer / phone

Now that means we could connect an IRDA dongle to the Pi3MB and deal with the Galileo and other IRDA computers on Mac/Win10. We could support ANY dive computer that is supported under Linux.

You pair the bluetooth, between Pi3MB and your computer, then send a command to the Pi3MB to connect to a dive computer of a certain type (so Suunto EON Steel or Galileo SOL) and tell the Pi3MB what the last fingerprint was that we have from that dive computer. The Pi3MB then deals with the download and either sends back OK or an Error.
Once you get the OK you do a BT file transfer to get the XML file back and import it.

Voila - any dive computer that we can support under Linux is now supported under Mac, Win10, Android and iOS.

What am I missing (besides a few hundred hours to actually implement and test all this)?