Divecomputer-reading from Mobile devices (Was: Divemate Fusion)

Martin Gysel me at bearsh.org
Sat Apr 9 15:27:11 PDT 2016

Am 09.04.2016 um 23:55 schrieb Dirk Hohndel:
> On Sat, Apr 09, 2016 at 02:46:32PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>> On Sat, Apr 9, 2016 at 1:59 PM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> It would be equally easy to build a full Subsurface - we seem to have a
>>> pretty complete Debian distro here.
>>
>> Well, there's only 4GB of emmc flash (and 512MB RAM) on that thing, so
>> I think it would be cramped to actually build subsurface on it.
>>
>> But yeah, you don't actually want a UI, you really just want a process
>> that links to libdivecomputer and can communicate over bluetooth to
>> get commands and return results.
>
> I have a simple BLE app but can't quite connect to it, yet. But I'm pretty
> sure that this is just a matter of reading the docs one more time :-)

keep in mind, the throughput of a BLE connection is quite limited
(~32kbps on iOS, maybe up to ~84kbps on Android [1]). to download more
than a couple of dives a wifi connection might be the better option.
furthermore already used technology like git could be used to transfer
the dive from the 'device' to the mobile or to the cloud directly. BLE
could be used to command it.

/martin

[1]
https://devzone.nordicsemi.com/question/3440/how-do-i-calculate-throughput-for-a-ble-link/