Divecomputer-reading from Mobile devices (Was: Divemate Fusion)

Jeroen Massar jeroen at massar.ch
Sun Apr 10 01:54:02 PDT 2016

On 2016-04-10 10:05, Miika Turkia wrote:
[..]
>> Yes, now that I have a working BLE connection from the C.H.I.P to my iPhone I would have to agree - it's not exactly fast.
>> But then again, the information we need to transfer isn't all that large, either. The compressed XML for me seems to average under 4kB per dive/divecomputer. That seems to imply that we could transfer a dive every couple of seconds or so. Definitely worth to play with. I'd much rather not mess with a wifi connection if I can avoid it. Since we can't assume that public wifi is available for the C.H.I.P to connect to we'd have to create a point to point wifi connection with the phone / tablet. Messy, complicated, error prone.
>
> If the CHIP acts as a wifi access point, the setup should be quite easy. Just need to initially configure wpa passphrase on the device and connect to it using mobile/laptop/whatnot. I have had too many problems with bt connections to count it reliable but wifi works generally quite well.

Note that GoPros, Nikons etc do the same thing (WiFi connectivity to get
access to the device's data.

One problem with using WiFi though is that you have to manually switch
to it, and then back again to your normal wifi.

hmmmm maybe a model for @home would actually then be: let the DiveChip
connect to your home network and act as a 'home dive hub'. Then, you
just connect your DC, it auto-downloads the dives and your
IOS/Android/OSX/whatever Subsurface can retrieve the new ones from the
DiveChip.

While traveling you are not connected to the home WiFi, thus the
DiveChip can then simply offer up it's own wifi.

That mode can then also be used for the setup-phase: open SSID, till it
is configured to something better.

Greets,
 Jeroen

PS: Dirk, awesome that you dove onto the mini-linux-device thing, I
think it is a more powerful path than going for an embedded device and
also will save a LOT of coding nightmares. One thing we do have to look
at is it the power supply though: need to have enough for the thing to
run for a day, and it needs to be mostly water proof ;)