Divecomputer-reading from Mobile devices (Was: Divemate Fusion)

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sun Apr 10 06:57:18 PDT 2016

> On Apr 10, 2016, at 1:54 AM, Jeroen Massar <jeroen at massar.ch> wrote:
>>
>> If the CHIP acts as a wifi access point, the setup should be quite easy. Just need to initially configure wpa passphrase on the device and connect to it using mobile/laptop/whatnot. I have had too many problems with bt connections to count it reliable but wifi works generally quite well.
>
> Note that GoPros, Nikons etc do the same thing (WiFi connectivity to get
> access to the device's data.

Yes, because they need to transfer tens of MB of data.

> One problem with using WiFi though is that you have to manually switch
> to it, and then back again to your normal wifi.

Yes, this is WAY MORE than I'm interested in dealing with.

> hmmmm maybe a model for @home would actually then be: let the DiveChip
> connect to your home network and act as a 'home dive hub'. Then, you
> just connect your DC, it auto-downloads the dives and your
> IOS/Android/OSX/whatever Subsurface can retrieve the new ones from the
> DiveChip.
>
> While traveling you are not connected to the home WiFi, thus the
> DiveChip can then simply offer up it's own wifi.
>
> That mode can then also be used for the setup-phase: open SSID, till it
> is configured to something better.

Certainly, these are all options. And I encourage the people who want to
implement this to go ahead and do so. Over the past six months I have
learned the brutally hard way that while there are a ton of people telling
me how they want things, the number of people who actually contribute
and implement these things has plummeted.

If you guys want to implement the three step WiFi idea with home dive
hub mode, go ahead, I'll be happy the host the repository for that project.

> PS: Dirk, awesome that you dove onto the mini-linux-device thing, I
> think it is a more powerful path than going for an embedded device and
> also will save a LOT of coding nightmares. One thing we do have to look
> at is it the power supply though: need to have enough for the thing to
> run for a day, and it needs to be mostly water proof ;)

It's still an embedded device. It's just an embedded device big enough
to run Linux :-)