Divecomputer-reading from Mobile devices (Was: Divemate Fusion)

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Sun Apr 10 08:46:04 PDT 2016

On Apr 10, 2016 06:59, "Dirk Hohndel" <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> Sent to early... this can easily run on any old phone charger. If you want
> to add battery it gets once again more complex. Yes, there are LiPos that
> will easily power it for a day - I haven't read up on whether the C.H.I.P
can
> charge those when connected to power or whether you need to disconnect
> and charge the battery by itself

The CHIP can charge them while running. It's one of the nicer features, I
think. You just connect the LiPo battery, and it charges when powered over
USB, and automatically switches over to battery when power is disconnected.

That said, I have no idea how well it works and how long it runs especially
if there is a power draw from any connected devices.

I looked around at adafruit, you can get a 2500mAh LiPo for about $15.
That's about 10Wh. I'm assuming (but didn't check) the CHIP is less than a
watt, and that should be plenty and last a whole day. A smaller 1200mAh
battery (so 5Wh) might be sufficient.

This is why I think the CHIP actually looks better than a lot of the
alternatives. It looks *very* easy to turn it mobile.

Of course, maybe the mobile part isn't even needed. With wet connectors and
crowding on a boat, I doubt the whole "download dives while on the boat" is
ever going to be very common. Unless it's a livaboard, and then you'd have
power anyway.

      Linus