Developing and Deploying devices

Miika Turkia miika.turkia at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 08:20:28 PDT 2016

On Tue, Apr 12, 2016 at 5:58 PM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> On Apr 12, 2016, at 5:16 AM, Jeroen Massar <jeroen at massar.ch> wrote:
>
> * Dive Computer connectivity
>   - USB Host to Dive Computer
>   - USB<->IRDA connector support
>   - others?
>   Likely USB is the minimum, and that then things can plug
>   into it that actually connect to the DC.
>

> Linux gives us a wonderful starting point as all the devices will
> just work and even the iRDA USB plugs usually are supported.
> This will require some testing to ensure that the right modules
> are loaded, but that's fairly straight forward

I am pretty sure we can do this by just connecting an IR led to GPIO
pins of the board. This works on my Raspberry Pi with a receiver led
and I don't see why it would not work on a C.H.I.P with a transceiver
led (or receiver and emitter leds). IIRC I didn't need to do anything
special to get this to work on the debian based distro I run on the
Pi. Anyway, I don't see the need for IR to be that common in our
application - for few people it would be useful, but for most
unnecessary.

miika