Stupid Question

John Van Ostrand john at vanostrand.com
Wed Apr 13 14:27:23 PDT 2016

On Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 5:07 PM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 04:57:18PM -0400, John Van Ostrand wrote:
> >
> > You know, I'd like to but two things are in my way. This was 150 dives
> ago,
> > so multiple edits and imports since. Second I have yet to figure out how
> > use git for Subsurface storage.
>
> Um. Seriously? Simply set up cloud storage. It's really straight forward
> and gives you wonderful features...

I just set that up last week. I'll look further into it.

> > It sounds like I'll be firing up Vim for an extended edit session. Or
> maybe
> > I could use an XML editor.
>
> With 150 entries... hmm... it wouldn't be hard to hack Subsurface to throw
> away the higher dive computers... Or do you have some dives where you want
> multiple dive computers and others where you don't?

I want to get rid of an entire dive computer's logs. It's a duplicate of
the same computer because of changes I made to LDC and after I imported I
failed to realized I had re-imported dives so there's no reason to keep
both. I'm going to try a couple dumb things to fix this. An XML editor
looks like it will work. I love that the data file is in XML, even if I
have a 58MB file, which is also why I'm doing this.

Where I was looking for the feature might be a good place to decide where
to put it if this is an itch you want to scratch. At first I right-clicked
in the dive list to see if there was a "Delete Cochran EMC-20H (no.2 of 2)"
option. Then I thought it might be under the Log menu, nope. Then I
thought, maybe if I filter by dive computer, but there's no filter for dive
computer. Then for giggles I tried deleting the dive to see if it only
deleted the selected dive computer's dive, knowing I could use the
"Undelete dive" option.

I'd be glad to work on code fixes myself but it's going to take me a while
to get back in after all the significant changes since I was last helping
out. I may be better off just testing and writing for Subsurface.

As an aside, I love the idea of multiple dive profiles for a dive but I
think it is too hidden. *I* know it's there but I don't think it's going to
be obvious to the typical user who doesn't read manuals. Conversely maybe
it doesn't have to be obvious. This may not affect many users.

--
John Van Ostrand
At large on sabbatical