Stupid Question

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Wed Apr 13 21:24:20 PDT 2016

> On Apr 13, 2016, at 2:27 PM, John Van Ostrand <john at vanostrand.com> wrote:
>
> > It sounds like I'll be firing up Vim for an extended edit session. Or maybe
> > I could use an XML editor.
>
> With 150 entries... hmm... it wouldn't be hard to hack Subsurface to throw
> away the higher dive computers... Or do you have some dives where you want
> multiple dive computers and others where you don't?
>
> I want to get rid of an entire dive computer's logs. It's a duplicate of the same computer because of changes I made to LDC and after I imported I failed to realized I had re-imported dives so there's no reason to keep both. I'm going to try a couple dumb things to fix this. An XML editor looks like it will work. I love that the data file is in XML, even if I have a 58MB file, which is also why I'm doing this.
>
> Where I was looking for the feature might be a good place to decide where to put it if this is an itch you want to scratch. At first I right-clicked in the dive list to see if there was a "Delete Cochran EMC-20H (no.2 of 2)" option. Then I thought it might be under the Log menu, nope. Then I thought, maybe if I filter by dive computer, but there's no filter for dive computer. Then for giggles I tried deleting the dive to see if it only deleted the selected dive computer's dive, knowing I could use the "Undelete dive" option.

If you switch to the second dive computer and click on its name in the corner of the profile, you can indeed delete it. A bit tedious with 150 dives, but doable :-)

> I'd be glad to work on code fixes myself but it's going to take me a while to get back in after all the significant changes since I was last helping out. I may be better off just testing and writing for Subsurface.

I always encourage people to contribute code. This project lives (and will die) with the amount of contribution. If it's mainly two or three people writing all the code we will burn out. Tomaz was close to quitting. I have been close to giving up many, many times over the last few months. I love this hobby, but I can't carry this on without significant contributions by the community.

Some of our previously very active contributors had changes in their lives (like, babies, job changes, having a (not sure how this is spelled) "leif"? ) and that has concentrated contributions quite dramatically.

This is the log for the last ten weeks:

$ git shortlog -s -n --since 2016-02-01
   320  Dirk Hohndel
    66  Tomaz Canabrava
    30  Linus Torvalds
    14  Miika Turkia
    12  Robert Helling
     8  Joakim Bygdell
     6  Henrik Brautaset Aronsen
     5  Rick Walsh
     4  Willem Ferguson
     4  Jan Mulder
     4  Lubomir I. Ivanov
     3  Marco Martin
     3  Jeroen Massar
     2  Salvador Cuñat
     1  Guillaume GARDET
     1  Werner Macho
     1  Anton Lundin

The fact that Linus is back to the #3 spot... ouch. And thank you, Linus, for stepping up - you have contributed some awesome code, lately!

I appreciate every single patch, please don't get me wrong. And I am not accusing or blaming anyone of not doing enough. This is a hobby - other things in life are much more important.

I'm just trying to explain why I am so adamantly begging people to write code. To look at QML. To send patches. 2/3 of the commits written by me? Not sustainable.

There are lots of bugs in trac. Many, many of them are hard - but quite a few of them are really easy. That's a great starting point. Or just look at whatever little thing you wish was there. Or get started with QML - it actually is kinda fun after a while...

> As an aside, I love the idea of multiple dive profiles for a dive but I think it is too hidden. *I* know it's there but I don't think it's going to be obvious to the typical user who doesn't read manuals. Conversely maybe it doesn't have to be obvious. This may not affect many users.

I think it's very, very few users. On every single dive trip Linus and I get asked why we have more than one computer. I don't think there are a lot of people who do this. It's a feature that I love - but I have no illusion that this is what draws people to Subsurface (of course, for the ones who want this, I believe we are still the only option out there...)