Developing and Deploying devices

Jeroen Massar jeroen at massar.ch
Wed Apr 13 23:05:25 PDT 2016

On 2016-04-14 07:54, Tim Wootton wrote:
> On 12/04/16 15:58, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
[..]
> The disadvantage is that a full image download is needed for each
> upgrade, which provides an intensive to make it as minimal as possible.
> Group A users can always side-load their favourite tools after updating.

Binary diff's have existed for a while ;)

But it is the  same situation for a a apt-get updates on a filesystem
you know exactly what is there: you know what is there, thus you can
upgrade that perfectly without any issues.

One thing to consider with such upgrades though is that one might want
to have "dual-image", but I think that is pushing it a bit.

There is a big reason why people tend to state "do not turn off the
device while upgrading".

Noting that CHIP has a boot repair mode:
http://docs.getchip.com/#chip-boot-repair-tool

Thus in the case of a 'wrong flash', we could have a tool that just
flashes it that way as a way of recovery ;)

Greets,
 Jeroen