Developing and Deploying devices

Jeroen Massar jeroen at massar.ch
Thu Apr 14 07:25:22 PDT 2016

On 2016-04-14 16:18, Dirk Hohndel wrote:

>> On Apr 13, 2016, at 11:48 PM, Robert Helling <helling at atdotde.de
>> <mailto:helling at atdotde.de>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>>> On 14.04.2016, at 08:05, Jeroen Massar <jeroen at massar.ch
>>> <mailto:jeroen at massar.ch>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thus in the case of a 'wrong flash', we could have a tool that just
>>> flashes it that way as a way of recovery ;)
>>
>> I am convinced that “flash the whole thing” should be the default
>> upgrade path. The problem is only you cannot do it while running. So
>> you need a desktop.
>
> I completely agree, Robert. I want a stateless solution - there is NO
> state kept on the device, no configuration, nothing.
> You want a new version? You flash a new image. Something is wrong, you
> can use the un-brick image from CHIP.
>
> And if we go down the BLE path instead of the wifi hotspot path, I
> believe we can get away with zero state on device...

I was thinking more complex, but yes, if we can get away with BLE then
we likely can do a zero-config kind of device, where at 'fetch' time we
tell the libdivecomputer on the device what is connected, but the device
itself does not actually store anything.

Added it to the requirements ;)

Greets,
 Jeroen