Developing and Deploying devices

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Thu Apr 14 07:55:49 PDT 2016

> On Apr 14, 2016, at 7:50 AM, Jeroen Massar <jeroen at massar.ch> wrote:
>
> On 2016-04-14 16:43, David Tillotson wrote:
> [..]
>> On a commercial product I worked on in the past, we used a fairly
>> simple solution for field upgrades (although that was an FPGA based
>> system, so it may not be as easy for the likes of the CHIP):
> [..]
>
> The C.H.I.P. has Uboot like many other arm-based devices.
>
> As such, that is the 'safe' image.
>
> As linked from:
> http://trac.subsurface-divelog.org/wiki/NextThingCHIP
> 8<---------
> "Repair" mode (U-Boot) is detailed at ​
> http://docs.getchip.com/#chip-boot-repair-tool
> ---------->8
>
> Thus, if we go the image route, and the KISS-setup that we are going for
> will likely imply that, then we just use this recovery feature to flash
> a new version onto the device.

Have you looked at the cool thing CHIP just announced?
With a chrome browser go to flash.getchip.com  - you can reflash your
CHIP from a web browser... which means that all we need to work on
with NextThing is how to get our image into their collection of images
and then our users can simply flash it from their browser - no advanced
knowledge required.

I really like the idea that we don't need to re-invent any of that infrastructure
and can simply re-use what NextThing is working on already - which to me
makes this so attractive to use the CHIP