Stupid Question

John Van Ostrand john at vanostrand.com
Thu Apr 14 08:27:35 PDT 2016

On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 12:30 AM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> On Apr 13, 2016, at 9:24 PM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
>
> This is the log for the last ten weeks:
>
> $ git shortlog -s -n --since 2016-02-01
>    320  Dirk Hohndel
>     66  Tomaz Canabrava
>     30  Linus Torvalds
>     14  Miika Turkia
>     12  Robert Helling
>      8  Joakim Bygdell
>      6  Henrik Brautaset Aronsen
>      5  Rick Walsh
>      4  Willem Ferguson
>      4  Jan Mulder
>      4  Lubomir I. Ivanov
>      3  Marco Martin
>      3  Jeroen Massar
>      2  Salvador Cuñat
>      1  Guillaume GARDET
>      1  Werner Macho
>      1  Anton Lundin

The least I can do is thank everyone for their work on Subsurface. As a
Linux desktop user I have so few options and Subsurface is miles better
than anything for Linux and better than the few I've seen on Windows. I've
given up paper logs because of Subsurface and I'm finding it a great tool
for comparing and understanding different deco algorithm schedules. I'm
going to get a lot of use out of the mobile app.

I've been recommending it any chance I get and my friends have been waiting
for my Cochran code to be included in LDC, which happened last month and is
now available in Subsurface 4.5.5.  I've also been talking to Cochran
Consulting Inc. about Subsurface. Their app, although quite functional
looks and acts like a Windows 3.1 app. I'd bet their navy clients aren't
concerned but I have some reason to think they need to invest a lot into
development. Their problem is their deco algo is proprietary and they'd
have to find some way of doing planning in Subsurface and configuration
changes that they'd rather not have in open source.

I'll try to get back into contributing patches but don't expect much. I'm
so far behind on programming experience I'll have trouble with a lot of
things, like a clean build given all the libs, debugging threads, anything
on a mobile device, profiling and analysis tools, modern IDEs, or even
working with some of the libraries Subsurface uses. It will be a big
culture shock and learning curve. I should be able to add simple things.

I've been avoiding posting about compile problems or coding questions
because I didn't want to burden the list with my inexperience. But help
seems to be needed, so would people be open to RTFM type questions?

I'll also look out for potential new contributors. I might know one
experience programmer who avidly dives, so word of mouth isn't going to
work well for me. How about doing some marketing for Subsurface? Posts in
places like ScubaBoard, cavediver.net, and thedecostop.com might help to
attract users and with them contributor should come. I can write passable
copy for an amateur, I think.
--
John Van Ostrand
At large on sabbatical