Stupid Question

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Thu Apr 14 08:33:19 PDT 2016

On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 11:27:35AM -0400, John Van Ostrand wrote:
> I'll try to get back into contributing patches but don't expect much. I'm
> so far behind on programming experience I'll have trouble with a lot of
> things, like a clean build given all the libs, debugging threads, anything
> on a mobile device, profiling and analysis tools, modern IDEs, or even
> working with some of the libraries Subsurface uses. It will be a big
> culture shock and learning curve. I should be able to add simple things.
>
> I've been avoiding posting about compile problems or coding questions
> because I didn't want to burden the list with my inexperience. But help
> seems to be needed, so would people be open to RTFM type questions?

Absolutely. I want to make it easy for people to contribute. And if there
are hurdles I'd rather work on getting those addressed than lose a
potential contributor.

> I'll also look out for potential new contributors. I might know one
> experience programmer who avidly dives, so word of mouth isn't going to
> work well for me. How about doing some marketing for Subsurface? Posts in
> places like ScubaBoard, cavediver.net, and thedecostop.com might help to
> attract users and with them contributor should come. I can write passable
> copy for an amateur, I think.

So I do post on ScubaBoard and we get some users from there. We're also on
Facebook (lots of users from there) and on Google+. And some people here
are forwarding my announcements to other boards. But the more the merrier.

And help with the actual announcements and the "marketing" aspect is
always welcome. Very welcome, actually.