Petrel2 and Linux

Rick Walsh rickmwalsh at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 02:16:49 PDT 2016

On 18 April 2016 at 18:21, Rick Walsh <rickmwalsh at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 18 April 2016 at 11:20, Steve <stevewilliams at internode.on.net> wrote:
>

>> > Registers:
>> >  rax            0x0     0
>> >  rbx            0x7ffeef3a09d0  140732911978960
>> >  rcx            0x7ffeef3a09d0  140732911978960
>> >  rdx            0x7ffeef3a09d0  140732911978960
>> >
>> > SegvAnalysis:
>> >  Segfault happened at: 0x6a8d58 <dc_device_foreach+8>:  mov
>> 0x30(%rax),%rax
>>
>> Hmm.
>>
>> dc_device_foreach is in libdivecomputer, and is a rather simple function.
>>
>> I suspect that "device->vtable" is NULL.
>>
>> >  #0  0x00000000006a8d58 in dc_device_foreach ()  No symbol table info
>> > available.
>> >  #1  0x0000000000652b02 in do_libdivecomputer_import ()  No symbol
>> > table info available.
>>
>> The caller is do_libdivecomputer_import -> do_device_import, but
>> do_device_import is likely inlined.
>>
>> I'm not seeing how device->vtable would be NULL, but it's either a
>> libdivecomputer bug, or it is, as you say, memory corruption.
>>
>>               Linus
>>

>> I can also confirm an issue in windows 10 as well when using the older
>> serial port method to download from a petrel 2.
>> I don't remember the exact error message and when I tried again from
>> command line using -vvv to capture the messages it worked successfully.
>>
>> I have the same issue and backtrace using native Bluetooth download (for
> Petrel 2) running the current master (just verified 15 min ago with 628f83d
> but reported on 9 April) running Fedora 23.
>
> http://lists.subsurface-divelog.org/pipermail/subsurface/2016-April/025260.html
>
> It also fails for me with the same backtrace using the 4.5.4 Appimage, but
works fine with the 4.5.2 Appimage.  However, if I build v4.5.2 myself, it
fails the same way.  I dare say the cause is something that changed in
Subsurface-branch of libdivecomputer between 27 October (4.5.2) and 16
March (4.5.5).

To confirm my suspicion, I built the current subsurface master (with
changes to include lines to build with native Bluetooth support), and old
libdivecomputer that I think would have been used for v4.5.2 Appimage
(058538e Use hidapi for Suunto EON Steel on Mac).  I successfully
downloaded my dives from yesterday off my Petrel 2.

I would try to bisect through the hundred-odd changes in the
Subsurface-branch of libdivecomputer, but I need to get dinner ready.

Rick