RFC: Dive site UI

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Mon Apr 18 05:01:36 PDT 2016

> On Apr 18, 2016, at 12:11 AM, Henrik Brautaset Aronsen <henrik at synth.no> wrote:
>
> Here's a proposal to simplify the dive site UI:
>

> When editing a dive:
>
> 1) Disable inline editing of dive site name.  This avoids confusion around "rename dive site" vs "choose existing dive site with a different name"
>
> 2) Instead add  "Edit..." and "Choose..." buttons next to the dive site name.  (See edit-dive.png)
>
> 3) "Edit..." takes you to "Edit dive site". (Rename, edit coordinates etc) (See edit-dive-site.png)
>
> 4) "Choose..." takes you to "Choose dive site", with a "Search" field and a "Create new site" button. (See choose-dive-site.png)
>
> 5) "Create new site" takes you to "Create dive site" (similar to "Edit dive site").  (See create-dive-site.png)
>
> When creating a new dive:
>
> 6) The inline dive site edit should be disabled here as well, but add a "Create..." and "Choose..." button next to it.  (See new-dive.png)
>

> This should be fairly straight forward to implement in both the desktop and mobile UIs, since there is no magic and complex logic going on.

Well thought through concept.

It brings with it one thing that I hate. When I enter dive data, I once again have to click a button and enter another widget in order to be able to name my dive.

In the 9+ months that we've had the current UI for the desktop version I am happy to say that I have entered the dive site UI a total of ZERO times. I simply enter my dive site name in the maintab widget. For boat dives I don't care one bit if I have been to a site of that name before - I'll get new GPS data from my phone. And for shore dives I just pick the existing site by name, or if it doesn't exist I treat it like a boat dive. There is no circumstance ever under which I need to go to a second widget.

So for the way that /I/ use Subsurface, this is a massive step back.

And while I'm happy to go out of my way and spend hundreds of hours so that others can do things the way they want, I draw the line at spending time on no longer being able to use Subsurface the way I want to.