RFC: Dive site UI

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Mon Apr 18 07:25:58 PDT 2016

> On Apr 18, 2016, at 6:56 AM, Henrik Brautaset Aronsen <henrik at synth.no> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 3:47 PM, Tomaz Canabrava <tcanabrava at kde.org <mailto:tcanabrava at kde.org>> wrote:
> This is the current new UI - profile works, dive list works - the rest doesn't.
>
> Cool.  I think it's a little too cluttered.  Maybe we could try to not show everything at the same time?

Why? It's a serious question... I was going to suggest to Tomaz to make the dive list "auto-hide" so that once the user has selected a dive, the dive list just slides out to the left and leaves more space for fields that give information about the dive.

> if I may ask a favor, I'm all for help with the UI, so if you think of a way to a *dedicated* dive site edit panel,
> (click on dive site, it will enter a list of dive sites) with pictures, information, info, status, etc.) I'd be glad to use it. :)
>
> I think we need to do this one step at a time.  First we need to fix the dive site add/edit mess, as explained in my RFC.  And I believe that a separate widget is needed to fix that.
>
> Then a proper dive site database UI (which lists the dive sites) can be implemented.

I think we need agreement on how we think a user wants to interact with their dive locations.

Here's my scenario:

After I downloaded my dives from my dive computers and the GPS data from my phone, I go through the dives one by one and set the location.
I type in the name of the dive site in the dive site field. If dive sites with that name are known, they are offered as completions in order of increasing distance from the GPS fix. If there is no GPS fix, they are just shown in increasing distance from the last dive that was in my dive list which has GPS (so on a trip, once the first dive has a location, this still works as expected).
I can then pick one of those sites (either with the GPS data I have (which may be no GPS) --> new dive site, or with the GPS data it has --> use existing dive site).
And of course if I type in a name that doesn't exist, that also creates a new dive site.

To me that is logical, consistent, easy to understand and explain, and it avoids having to change to a different UI

Now for the people who think that dive sites are something special, they get a dive site UI (completely separate from the main UI) that allows them to sort, combine, delete, add, modify, annotate and whatever else they want to do.