Kirigami: a feature needed for subsurface and api change feedback

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Mon Apr 18 11:28:04 PDT 2016

On Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 07:29:43PM +0200, Marco Martin wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> one thing that as i understood was needed in the mobile UI of Subsurface, is
> the possibility to add other buttons in the action buttons at the bottom.
> here's how my prototype looks like: http://imgur.com/VTHbDBJ

Hmm. That looks like one button to me. And way too easy to tap on the
wrong end of that badge shaped thingy... I'd much rather have three
circles, a bigger one in the middle, and zero, one, or two smaller ones,
with some visual separation between them

> From discussions with the designers, it seems it should be always limited to
> at most three buttons, and this of course influences the final API: there
> should then be 3 separate actions properties instead of a list of an arbitrary
> number of actions, like it happens for context menu actions

Thomas has beaten me into submission, yes, three should be enough.

> Page {
> 	actions {
> 		main: Action {...}
> 		left: Action {...}
> 		right: Action {...}
>     		contextualActions: [
>        			Action {...},
> 			Action{...}
> 		]
> 	}
> }
>
> opinions? comments? (would be a problem for subsurface for eventually adapting
> existing stuff to new api?)

Cute. I like it. Just make sure that I can use variables to assign to this
as the available buttons will change depending on context for us.

Switching to a new API isn't really a big deal for us. I build all the
binaries and we already have that little script that always pulls the
latest upstream Kirigamit. It would be nice to have a grace period where
both work, or you can make it a hard switch (I think that would require to
go to version 2.x of Kirigami).

A few days of lead time would be nice, too :-)