Kirigami: a feature needed for subsurface and api change feedback

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Mon Apr 18 13:21:38 PDT 2016

On Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 10:07:32PM +0200, Marco Martin wrote:
> On Monday 18 April 2016, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> > Cute. I like it. Just make sure that I can use variables to assign to this
> > as the available buttons will change depending on context for us.
> >
> > Switching to a new API isn't really a big deal for us. I build all the
> > binaries and we already have that little script that always pulls the
> > latest upstream Kirigamit. It would be nice to have a grace period where
> > both work, or you can make it a hard switch (I think that would require to
> > go to version 2.x of Kirigami).
>
> well, since is not even a final 1.0 yet i would prefer not to do a 2.0 now ;)
> (i was actually planning to do a 2.0 when I'll port the whole thing to
> QtQuickControls2 so after Qt 5.7 is out and around since a while)
>
> so, if it would give problems, I can leave it in the form
>
> Page {
>         mainAction: Action {...}
>         leftAction: Action {...}
>         rightAction: Action {...}
>         contextualActions: [...
>
> so current code would just work

I have no problem switching to the new syntax. Don't take the 2.x comment
as a "requirement" from me... we've had so many incompatible changes over
the past six months... I'm not worried :-)

Let's get to a solid API that we are all happy with - and I'll be happy to
adjust our code to match that.

When Sebastian and I first talked about using the "mobile components" for
Subsurface-mobile I explicitly agreed that I was happy with this being a
bit of "learning by doing" and at least initially being a moving target.

I guess I was confused about the fact that the current version calls
itself 1.0 :-)