Kirigami: a feature needed for subsurface and api change feedback

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Tue Apr 19 05:55:13 PDT 2016

> On Apr 19, 2016, at 5:50 AM, Thomas Pfeiffer <thomas.pfeiffer at kde.org> wrote:
>
> On Dienstag, 19. April 2016 05:26:35 CEST Dirk Hohndel wrote:
>>> On Apr 19, 2016, at 5:12 AM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> So I've played with this on my phone and I'm not super excited with how
>>> close the actions are together. Can you side install Android apps on your
>>> phones, Marco and Thomas, so you can see this? I don't really want to
>>> push this to my unsuspecting testers, but could easily make an APK
>>> available
>>
>> The APK is available:
>> http://subsurface-divelog.org/downloads/daily/Subsurface-mobile-4.5.2.1278-> release-arm.apk
>>
>> Here's the relevant screen shot, though:
>>

>> This is an old Nexus 7; if I have my index finger hovering over the button
>> it easily covers all three icons; yes, I can make it hit the right part of
>> the button, but boy does that feel "tight".
>
> Hi Dirk,
> three things:
> 1.) Thank you for giving us feedback so quickly, even with an APK!

Hey, I saw the changes at 4am, perfect timing for quick turnaround :-)

> 2.) On your Nexus 7, the whole thing indeed is way too small. This seems to be
> a DPI scaling issue, though. See attached how it looks on my Nexus 5. this is
> the size we originally intended it to have (Marco has a Nexus 5 as well).

It does seem somewhat better. I'm just on IRC with Marco and am asking him
to make it slightly more elongated, so that the "action points" of the three individual
buttons are further apart.

I see the value that you are creating by having a single "thingy" there that the user
can drag to the side to open a drawer...

> 3.) Even though on the Nexus 5 it's not too difficult to hit the correct button,
> I still think we should make the "flaps" a bit longer to make it more
> comfortable.

Ha. Reading linearly :-)

> Also  @Marco: Would it be possible to include the secondary buttons in the
> double-funcion of the action button as a handle to open the drawers?

OK, this isn't directed at me, but... -ENOPARSE