What happened to the depth being shown on profile?

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Wed Apr 20 13:14:32 PDT 2016

On Apr 20, 2016 12:48 PM, "Dirk Hohndel" <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> Reading the patch the code makes sense and seems an improvement. I'm not
> in love with "int entry" since we have pi->entry (which is a pointer) to
> confuse it with, but heck, I'm sure you had a good reason for picking that
> name :-)

I'd normally call it "index" or something, but it's entry exactly because
we already had "index" for the time slot index. Gaah.

> What puzzles me is why we even create 3, 6, and 9 minute intervals since
> it seems we never use anything but the 9 minute intervals. What am I
> missing?

I have this memory of us playing with showing the momentary average depth
and min/max bands in the profile. The same way we were playing around with
smoothing etc.

So I think it's historical. I don't think we use the average at all, and we
only use the 9-minute min/max (which is a fairly odd number too).

If you do decide to just remove the three different time windows and go for
just one, you could rename "entry" to "index" at the same time.

And if we decide that the momentary average depth is never going to be
interesting, that code could be removed too.

I'm driving around, so I'm not going to generate that patch. But it should
be pretty obvious..

      Linus