Better "make clean"? Or easier configuration?

Tomaz Canabrava tcanabrava at kde.org
Wed Apr 20 17:35:11 PDT 2016

On Wed, Apr 20, 2016 at 8:31 PM, Linus Torvalds <
torvalds at linux-foundation.org> wrote:

> So Fedora just upgraded their qt version today (or at least recently).
>
> After that, building subsurface gets me
>
>   make[2]: *** No rule to make target
> '/usr/lib64/libQt5Concurrent.so.5.5.1', needed by 'subsurface'.
>       Stop.
>
> Oops. Ok, I'll just do "make clean".
>
> That doesn't help, same error.
>
> There's no "distclean" or similar target, but I *can* basically just do
>
>   ccmake .
>
> and just hit 'c' and 'g' to (re-)configure and generate, and that does
> fix the problem.
>
> But this points out that it looks like even just the configuration
> phase ends up creating dependencies that can change.
>
> Normally, I'd just do "git clean -dqfx" and blow everything away,
> which is what I do for the kernel, but the subsurface configuration
> phase is *so* confusing that I absolutely hate doing that. The build
> script does that, but it does so much else too..
>
> For example, if you actually do "git clean -dqfx" to blow everything
> away, and then do
>
>    mkdir build
>    cd build
>    cmake ..
>
> it will fail on grantlee. I'm not sure why. I get
>
>   CMake Error at cmake/Modules/HandleFindGrantlee.cmake:10 (find_package):
>     By not providing "FindGrantlee5.cmake" in CMAKE_MODULE_PATH this
> project
>     has asked CMake to find a package configuration file provided by
>     "Grantlee5", but CMake did not find one.

because the build script build things on a non-default path and
CMAKE_MODULE_PATH is not set on your env  - the correct way for using
grantlee is (or should be) installed via the package manager. I don't
remember why we did things that way, but I guess it was because it was
easier for windows / mac.

> even though I have grantlee built and installed (previously) using the
> build script. I'm not sure why it finds libdivecomputer and marble in
> the install-root directory, but not grantlee..

because I hardcoded some pathes on subsurface cmake to look for the install
root, but aparently I forgot about grantlee. will do that.

> Yes, yes, I can fix this, but it sure isn't obvious.. Is there an
> _obvious_ configuration setup, or perhaps just a better :"make clean"?
> that leaves the configuration but re-builds it?

Will not promise that, but I'll look it on this weekend.