Cloud user details set via command line or log file?

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Wed Apr 27 07:49:47 PDT 2016

On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 09:39:53AM +1000, Michael Morley wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been using Subsurface for a year or so now and find it fantastic.
>
> Currently I use 2 different log files saved on the local hard disk to
> manage my log and my wifes log. I then use 2 difference shortcuts on the
> windows desktop with the log file in the target to open either my log or my
> wifes. This automatically opens the correct log without having to go
> through the file menu. I can also open the different logs in 2 windows very
> easily. Works fantastic!
>
> Anyway, I've started testing the cloud sync to be able to access my log on
> my Android tablet. Seems to work, however there doesn't seem to be an
> option to switch between different cloud users in SubSurface for windows?
>
> The cloud sync settings are set in preferences, is there any change these
> could be set in the current log file, or an ini file that could be sent to
> subsurface via the command line?
>
> At the moment I still use a local log file but once I've finished editing I
> sync it to the cloud and close Subsurface. I like having the local
> XML file, makes me feel all warm and fuzzy having my log stored locally in
> one file.

Well, with the cloud option the data is still stored locally as well, just
not in a single XML file but instead as a git repository (which is much
more powerful than just a simple XML file - but we don't expose the
options this can give you to the user in Subsurface - the challenges with
creating a good UI for that are daunting).

But to answer your underlying question - yes, I am thinking about ways to
make Subsurface much more useful for multi-user scenarios. But as usual,
the issue is "who is going to write that code and when". We simply don't
have enough people with the time and the talent to work on the UI, and
even though there are lots of great ideas out there on how to improve
Subsurface, there just aren't enough people working on implementing them.