Transition WebKit to WebEngine

Lubomir I. Ivanov neolit123 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 14:54:16 PDT 2016

On 11 August 2016 at 00:30, Robert Helling <helling at atdotde.de> wrote:

> re 3) This is hard and (at least currently) beyond my powers. In master, to render the page for printing, html elements in the page are accessed to get the page breaks right and then (parts of the) page is rendered to the printer.

yep, that's correct. page breaks may seem a bit hacky, as some
calculations need to be made where to move HTML tags on a new page.

> With WebEngine, according to the transition documents, you cannot access html elements anymore. You are supposed to do this in Javascript and then invoke some callback function from there.

ouch. i knew the transition was pending but didn't knew it would be
that breaking.
it probably isn't *that bad* but needs research, testing,
implementation, more testing and so on.

> Too bad I know virtually nothing about Javascript. And then, the rendering to the printer is probably also different. There is a new functionality to render a QWebEngineView to a pdf file, but I don’t know how that handles page breaks. So, currently, large parts of the printing functionality are commented out and consequently, with this, there is currently no printing.

i do understand some JavaScript and how Qt handles the printing, but i
just don't understand these new WebEngine implications. also, no free
time ATM - maybe next month.
wish Gehad was around, so that he can work on the transition as he is
the author of the original code.

lubomir