preferences - safe to merge (finally)

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sat Aug 27 12:36:25 PDT 2016

On Sat, Aug 27, 2016 at 08:58:08AM -0300, Tomaz Canabrava wrote:
> sorry for the long delay - life is a bit crazy.
>
> For those who don't know yet, I'm trying to move to germany and I just went
> to the consulate here in brazil this tuesday - send me good vibes.

How did it go? I assume they beat you up, threw you on the ground, used
some tear gas on you and then threatened to sue you over the damage you
did to their carpet when throwing up?

> While this is mostly finished and a *bit* tested, I didn't do a ton of
> testing, so I'll send more patches over those, but this is a goos start, if
> I break anything on any preferences - you'd been warned, not finished, but
> mergeable.

It applies nicely. I did my usual rewriting of the commit messages and a
couple of tiny whitespace fixes.

> I'd say this is 80% ready. I'v foud a few places where a setting is changed
> the 'wrong' way (and by wrong way I mean that a setting is changed, the
> setting should trigger code but some unrelated signal is send that in turn
> will trigger the correct code. But the signal (or the class) shouldn't be
> doing that)

I compiled it and started testing. First thing I notice, I get asked if I
allow Subsurface to check for updates - and if I accept then it asks me
again, every time I start Subsurface. Only by declining can I get rid of
the dialog.

That's not what we want, is it? :-/

This is caused by your implementation losing sight of the fact that there
are THREE states. The DontCheckForUpdates can be unset, true, or false.
Your code turns this into a binary case. I added a commit to fix that.

I also noticed that when I make changes to the settings and then click
apply, I am told that in order to change language I had to restart
Subsurface (I didn't change the language...) and then when I clicked OK
Subsurface crashed.

I haven't had time to investigate this one, yet.

Nevertheless, in order to get more people to test and hopefully fix
things, I'll push all this to master.