preferences - safe to merge (finally)

Tomaz Canabrava tcanabrava at kde.org
Sat Aug 27 12:55:07 PDT 2016

On Sat, Aug 27, 2016 at 4:36 PM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 27, 2016 at 08:58:08AM -0300, Tomaz Canabrava wrote:
> > sorry for the long delay - life is a bit crazy.
> >
> > For those who don't know yet, I'm trying to move to germany and I just
> went
> > to the consulate here in brazil this tuesday - send me good vibes.
>
> How did it go? I assume they beat you up, threw you on the ground, used
> some tear gas on you and then threatened to sue you over the damage you
> did to their carpet when throwing up?

It went fairly well - since I had *tons* of documentation to give to them,
I had to do in turns because it didn't fit into the documentation-exchange
mechanism (they have a small rotating glass where you put your documents) -
I had to use it three times to pass all of my paperwork.

> > While this is mostly finished and a *bit* tested, I didn't do a ton of
> > testing, so I'll send more patches over those, but this is a goos start,
> if
> > I break anything on any preferences - you'd been warned, not finished,
> but
> > mergeable.
>
> It applies nicely. I did my usual rewriting of the commit messages and a
> couple of tiny whitespace fixes.
>
> > I'd say this is 80% ready. I'v foud a few places where a setting is
> changed
> > the 'wrong' way (and by wrong way I mean that a setting is changed, the
> > setting should trigger code but some unrelated signal is send that in
> turn
> > will trigger the correct code. But the signal (or the class) shouldn't be
> > doing that)
>
> I compiled it and started testing. First thing I notice, I get asked if I
> allow Subsurface to check for updates - and if I accept then it asks me
> again, every time I start Subsurface. Only by declining can I get rid of
> the dialog.
>
> That's not what we want, is it? :-/
>
> This is caused by your implementation losing sight of the fact that there
> are THREE states. The DontCheckForUpdates can be unset, true, or false.
> Your code turns this into a binary case. I added a commit to fix that.
>
> I also noticed that when I make changes to the settings and then click
> apply, I am told that in order to change language I had to restart
> Subsurface (I didn't change the language...) and then when I clicked OK
> Subsurface crashed.

> I haven't had time to investigate this one, yet.

I'm looking into it - it's a bit exausting, I'm checking all preferences to
see if they apply / restore, also I'm adding a unittest for the preferences.