DAN Europe and Subsurface

Robert Helling helling at atdotde.de
Fri Dec 2 08:54:48 PST 2016

Hi,

> On 02.12.2016, at 16:00, Willem Ferguson <willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za> wrote:
>
> "I believe it is important to meet and discuss your plans to incorporate your study with the DAN Diver Safety Guardian (DSG) platform. Mainly because most of what you mentioned and suggested is already available and in place via the DAN DSG platform. The Subsurface platform has been used for many years by DAN Europe to convert and transfer dive computer data into the DSG platform. In fact the DAN Europe team has been hard at work with the Subsurface team to integrate the Subsurface software into the DSG platform."
>
> Does anyone know anything about this initiative?

As far as I can remember, there has not been too much activity in this direction, this is also what googling for DAN site:lists.subsurface-divelog.org produces:

http://www.lmgt.com/?q=DAN+site%3Alists.subsurface-divelog.org

Somebody came up with a (very long) definition of their file format, then there was a comment that took me longer to find as I remembered it coming from Linus, our head of department of Strong Statements, but it was Dirk, quoting:

> > I have the specification (see attachment). No idea where I got it, or how
> > up-to-date it is, but this is always better than nothing :-)
>
> Wow. I never thought I would say this. But UDDF is an entirely sane
> format compared to that.
>
> What is wrong with these people???
>
> /D
Then, a bit later, there is a single message from a DAN Europe guy that got a single response (by Miika):

> Hi Andrea,
>
> overall this sounds good to me. We currently integrate e.g. with
> divelogs.de by quite a simple API. Basically we convert our XML to the
> one used by divelogs.de and then upload the file through webservices
> API. Of course this integration has also download option, which we
> might not need with your interface. Anyway, a sensible XML format and
> sensible API to upload would be easiest for us. (More comments below.)
>
> On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 4:58 PM, Andrea Covelli
> <acovelli at dsl.daneurope.org <http://lists.subsurface-divelog.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/subsurface>> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I’m Andrea Covelli, the developer of the new DAN Europe website to collect
> > diving profiles, Diver Safety Guardian (DSG). The website is accessible on
> > https://www.daneuropedsl.org <https://www.daneuropedsl.org/> and you will need your DAN ID and MyDan
> > password in order to access it.
> >
> > Considering that it is multi-platform open-source and the wide range of
> > compatible diving computer, we already suggest to use Subsurface to download
> > and export the profiles in UDDF, in order to upload them on the DSG.
>
> Good to hear :D
>
> > During the last EUDI Show, while I was presenting the web site,  I met
> > Filippo and we had the idea to have a better integration between the two
> > systems.
> >
> > I developed an API that allow to upload dive profile directly on the DSG.
> >
> > I would like to start to implement it, but I would appreciate any comment
> > and help in developing this.
>
> We are happy to work on this from our side. We have thought about DAN
> integration before but the old format (D7) looked a bit too hard to
> implement, so work on that never took off...
>
> > I attach the web service specification.
>
> The specification looks like you are expecting different format from
> the API than UDDF? Am I correct with this? For us, it would be easier
> if the uploaded information and profile were in XML. The other
> communication can be JSON or other sensible WEB stuff. We do currently
> support exporting to CSV using XSL transforms, so XML is not that
> strict requirement for the output, but preferable nontheless.
>
> > Thank you so much for your interest and help
>
> likewise
>
> mike

but it seems we never heard back. But there are also commit 46074ebf215506e53059ff41eeb1355f8cb2ee1f and following which apparently add the possibility to import DL7. But I don’t think we knowingly export, let alone upload.

Best
Robert

                      Scientific Coordinator
                      Phone: +49 89 2180-4523  Theresienstr. 39, rm. B339
                      http://www.atdotde.de

Enhance your privacy, use cryptography! My PGP keys have fingerprints
A9D1 A01D 13A5 31FA 6515  BB44 0820 367C 36BC 0C1D    and
DCED 37B6 251C 7861 270D  5613 95C7 9D32 9A8D 9B8F