Cannot save to cloud server: 4.5.6 on Ubuntu 16.10

Richard Trinkner richardinboulder at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 11:45:47 PST 2016

Apparently, I can open my cloud server file in 4.5.6, but after making a
change to the dive notes (e.g., adding a word), I cannot save to the cloud
server.  I receive a red-bar alert at the bottom of the app screen.

To reproduce on my machine:

1. File > Open Cloud Storage.
2. After a few seconds, the file opens. (Is this truly a cloud copy, or a
locally cached copy?...)
3. Edit the notes field.  (I type "Test" at the start of the notes field.)
4. Click "Apply changes."
5. File > Save to Cloud Storage
6. Dialog box appears at center of app indicating "Contacting cloud
service..." The progress bar shows minimal progress and freezes.
7. Red banner along bottom of  the app displays "Cannot connect to cloud
server, working with local copy. Authentication to cloud storage failed.
Could not update Subsurface cloud storage, try again later."
8. The small dialog box remains at center of the screen, but can be closed
by clicking it's x close icon.

Likewise, if I open my local Subsurface file, similarly edit the note
field, and then try to save to the cloud storage, I receive the red-banner
error message: "Authentication to cloud storage failed. Cannot sync with
cloud server, working with offline copy."

I'm running Subsurface 4.5.6 on Ubuntu 16.10, with kernel 4.8.0 v30.  I've
tried connecting via two separate WiFi networks as well as tethered through
my phone to T-Mobile's cellular data service. I don't think the network is
the problem. In my Subsurface preferences, I have Subsurface set to "No
proxy." I have not changed my password or userid, which have worked
successfully for about a year. I believe the problem arose when I moved
from Ubuntu 16.04 to 16.10.

A few questions:

1. Is this a known issue and will be fixed?
2. Is there something I can change on my local machine to enable cloud
storage?
3. How can I know if my machine is actually accessing the cloud storage to
open a file?  (Maybe it fails to open from cloud storage and defaults to a
locally cached version of the cloud file?)

As always, I greatly appreciate the Subsurface developers who have made a
phenomenal product that greatly enhances my enjoyment of diving. Thanks
again!

Richard Trinkner