4.6 Beta 1

Tim Wootton tim at tee-jay.org.uk
Tue Dec 13 08:35:12 PST 2016

On 13 December 2016 15:59:55 GMT+00:00, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

>> On Dec 13, 2016, at 2:41 AM, Miika Turkia <miika.turkia at gmail.com>
>wrote:
>>
>> Installing subsurface to yakkety requires me to install also the
>> following dependencies. I really dislike the idea of installing
>> avahi-daeman and libnss-mdns. From my point of view, these are
>useless
>> on any normally configured network, and I have so far never used
>> network autoconfigurations... (Didn't look that carefully into other
>> libraries.)
>>
>> ---8<---
>> The following additional packages will be installed:
>>  avahi-daemon geoclue-2.0 iio-sensor-proxy libdouble-conversion1v5
>> libgeoclue-2-0 libgrantlee-templates5
>>  libnss-mdns libqt5bluetooth5 libqt5bluetooth5-bin libqt5concurrent5
>> libqt5positioning5 libqt5qml5 libqt5quick5
>>  libqt5script5 libqt5sql5 libqt5sql5-sqlite libqt5webkit5 libqt5xml5
>libzip4
>> ---8<---
>
>Subsurface doesn't depend on avahi-daemon nor on libnss-mdns
>Both of those must be implicit dependencies of other libraries we
>depend on :-(

Not sure if it's the case here but I've noticed the default in some distros is to install recommends as well as depends. It may just be a recommend on one of those other libraries (try apt::install-recommends "false"; in/etc/apt/apt.conf)

I've also noticed the package maintainers of some other packages sometimes overstate the dependency and add depends on "something" because "something" is needed to support a certain feature, even though the package can happily be used without that feature.