[RFC] dive merging with 0 depth

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Thu Feb 4 10:44:40 PST 2016

On Thu, Feb 04, 2016 at 07:49:27PM +0200, Miika Turkia wrote:
> Should we be merging dives with zero depth? I do not see any real
> reason to have the check in place, but it would not be the first time
> I am missing something.

SACRILEGE! You are attempting to change code that was written by the
MASTER himself in 2012! That code is by definition perfect and inmutable!

/me snaps out of it...

Hmm, I think the rationale was that having a duration or depth of ZERO is
special in that it means there is no dive. And "no dive" and "a very short
dive" (or a very shallow dive - this is used both for duration and
maxdepth), are actually quite different.

So in THAT sense there might be some value here...

BUT:

> Of course, it does not really make sense to have dives with zero depth,
> but as the bug report is from importing, it really makes even less sense
> to have a 0 depth dive multiple times in the log.

Well, how about a different fix that keeps the original intent (which I am
guessing was put there because we found dives where this mattered)?

Add a check for BOTH being 0 before the first check. Because if they are
BOTH zero, they are the same again, right?

Thanks