Mobile build -786 small test

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Mon Feb 8 08:26:52 PST 2016

On Mon, Feb 08, 2016 at 01:28:05PM +0100, Jan Mulder wrote:
> >>Also worth some profiling, I guess. IIRC the way the git save works is
> >>that it creates the whole git tree in memory and then saves what is not on
> >>disk. So that may cause the long duration with 750 long dives. But I would
> >>need to spend more time to remind myself of how exactly this is done...
>
> Did a little check with gprof, and that shows no real part in the code that
> is responsible for this.
>
> Currently, I do not really understand all the rationale behind the save- and
> cloud-management. I was under the impression that a "save" of a individual
> dive only deals with the local cloudstorage tree, but it appears to do a lot
> more.

The local cache is a git repository. So if you "save" an edit, we create a
new commit in that repository. That commit gets synced to the cloud either
if you explicitly "upload to cloud" from the menu or the next time you
open the app (I know, that's kinda counter intuitive).

> Tried to mess with my log with the phone in airplane mode. I expected
> this to work, as there is a local cloudstorage tree, but this results in
> errors in the console "Don't save dives without loading from the cloud
> first" (and the response when hitting the save button is nicely very fast).
> For obvious reasons, I do not think this all works as intended.

Yeah, that sounds wrong. Can you be a little more precise what you tried
and what messages you got so I can reproduce this? The "don't save without

And the saving is nice and fast most likely because it didn't save :-)

> >I just noticed that data size for Subsurface-mobile was 2.55 GB on my
> >tablet. On my laptop the log's git tree is about 0.5 GB. Unfortunately
> >I have not figured out how to inspect this on Adnroid device to see
> >where the additional 2 GB has gone. I did an un-install so now the
> >size should be sensible, but let's see if it will increase over time.
> >I have mostly re-installed the APK with "adb install -r
> >bin/QtApp-debug.apk" so that might be the cause...I wonder if updating
> >from Google store is much different.
>
> Checked my reported install sizes, and do not see strange things like this.
> I also do adb style installs, so I do not expect this to be the issue.

Miika has pictures in his repo. Have we not cleaned those out, yet, Miika?